Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:47:19 -0500

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

> I can't take the time to learn how to use that wheel-barrow, I have a
> foundation to dig; I'll just keep carrying the dirt over to the pile a
> shovelful at a time.

That's a very bad analogy, since CVS is currently working, you just
have pain when renaming files.

(Besides, it doesn't make sense.  Does anyone dig foundations by hand?
If you are, your wheelbarrow is the least of your problems.  Maybe you
could have an analogy with construction equipment, but if asked in the
middle of a task to switch and retrain on new equipment with a
completely different interface and design philosophy, most builders
would laugh at you.)

>>And since arch is immature
>
> Arch is usably mature, with multiple implementations in various
> languages.

How many years of experience has arch had?  The implementation(s) may be
perfectly mature, but that doesn't mean that people's understanding of
it is.

If you'd like to see Emacs using arch, since arch is so decentralized,
maybe you or Robert could start maintaining an Emacs arch repository.
You could then figure out what the best setup for Emacs development
would be, which would make it much easier for an eventual wholesale
switch, since the rest of the developers could take advantage of your
knowledge.

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - I am the rocks.
Looking for a developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/