Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: May I publish a Windows Installer for GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:52:48 -0400

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> During the last days, I've created a Windows Installer for GNU
> >> Emacs. Here's what it currently does:
> >>
> >> After a welcome dialog, it shows the GPL and asks the user, if he
> >> accepts it. If he does, he can now choose a directory to install Emacs
> >> in.
> >
> > This is nonsense.  There is no need to accept the GPL for installing
> > and using Emacs.
>
> Ah OK, I must admit, that I have "stolen" this part from Gimps
> installer, but I see your point and will remove it.

Actually, I suggest that you take David's advise do display the
following buttons:

    "Thank you." and "I knew that."

instead of not displaying the GPL.  Why?  Free software is not as
well-known in the Windows world (although someone installing Emacs might
already have a clue) and I know maybe people that click "I accept"
without even reading anything when they encounter an EULA.  If they saw
Thank you." and "I knew that.", they might be surprised and read the
GPL.  Then that's one more person that goes "Wow, that's neat."

Peter