Re: groupware question

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: groupware question
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:33:26 +0000 (UTC)

       Robert> (I would love someone to take the code in, say, tramp and
       Robert> enable connections to character-only terminals ....

   If you understand the security implications and can live with them,
   wouldn't enabling TCP/IP with emacsclient do what you want?  (Using
   emacsclient on a local terminal would only annoy the remote X user, of
   course!)

I never thought of that!  Thank you.  Unfortunately, I cannot figure
out what to do.  I just tried and failed.  :-(

What do I do?  Here is the situation:  I have a non-root account, bob,
on two machines, 123.456.789.123 [that remote machine has no name] and
on megalith.rattlesnake.com [my machine].  I am running X on my
machine.  I connect to the remote machine twice using ssh over a slow
telephone connection.  So now I have two xterms connected to
123.456.789.123.

On one remote connection I start `emacs -nw -f server-start'.  That
is fine.  On the other remote connection, I start `emacsclient foo'.

That starts an Emacs window in the xterm showing first remote
connection, the one where I started `emacs -nw -f server-start'.

How do I get it to show the file in the xterm showing the other
remote connection?

   I've done cooperative editing this way, by the way, and discovered
   that I really don't want to work that way with the person I tried it
   with.  He kept making typos, and correcting my indentation style.
   Unforgivable!  ;-)

I feared this sort of thing can be a problem.  But I have enjoyed
good, cooperative work with people, so I think it depends on the
person and the situation.

   We found a second Emacs window on a temp buffer for chat (or it could
   visit a log file) was useful.

Yes, this makes good sense.  I would think in terms of one frame,
which may be in an Xterm, for chat (using a non-X equivalent of
`talk-connect') and another for work.

   We also found that it was hard (in XEmacs, GNU Emacs might do better)
   to keep the window-frame mapping consistent across frames ...

Hmmm.... that could be a problem I had not thought of.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden