Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:38:00 +0100

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

ISO 639 (Code for the Representation of the Names of Languages) defines

2-letter codes, whereas ISO 639-2 (... Part 2: Alpha-3 Code) defines 3-
letter codes.  Is that what Microsoft uses?

I'm pretty sure CHS and CHT (for Simplified and Traditional Chinese) do not come from any official list. But it appears that might be where JPN for Japanese comes from. All the other languages that Windows supports seem to be the ISO 639 two letter code plus an extra letter, I don't have time right now to go through and see if they are the same as 639-2.