Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: 20 Nov 2003 15:51:29 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Sounds like a bug: if it works via customize-variable, there's not good
> >> reason why it can't work with set-variable.
>
> > There are reasons.  Customize can specify actions to do whenever a
> > variable is set (there are a few customizable variables that switch on
> > minor modes, for example).
>
> That's what he said, basically and I replied that it's a bug in
> set-variable.  For such vars, set-variable should either put a big
> warning or do the same as customize-variable (i.e. call the setter
> function).

If set-variable does not tend to consult the "customize" data
structures in other circumstances, it would be unexpected if it did
in this case.  I do seem to remember, though, that set-variable
declined setting a variable to values opposed to any possibly
customize declaration.  So perhaps making set-variable do pretty much
the "set for current session" operation procedure of customize would
be sensible behavior.

That does not imply that the current behavior would be a bug, simply
that it might make sense to change it (along with its documentation).