Re: Info enhancements

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:42:23 +0000

> What I think you are missing is that the alignment of the text "A
> Sample Variable Description" is determined by the Texinfo source.  So
> when makeinfo outputs the "(line 999)" thingy, it needs to somehow
> ``recall' the column number where that text begins (since it is not
> known apriori, so cannot be simply a constant in the code).  This
> requires that makeinfo ``remembers'' that column when it outputs the
> line before the line number.  As makeinfo is essentially a one-pass
> translator, I'm not sure it is easy to get it to remember such things.

The original post showed something like this:

* foo::         Short description                       (line   42)
* bar::         A very long description causing the line number to wrap
                  (line 999)

I suggested to produce this output:

* foo::         Short description                       (line   42)
* bar::         A very long description causing the line number to wrap
                                                        (line  999)

The "(line  999)" part can be positioned without knowing the column
where "A very long description..." starts.  Instead, you can just go
to column fill-column minus 11 (the width of "(line XXXX)").

Right?

Kai