Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:10:00 -0500

On 08 Dec 2003, address@hidden wrote:

> We are talking about an editor here, not a number crunching package.

> Emacs is not a browser, it is an editor.

David, with all due respect, this is not correct.  Applications such
as Gnus (pretty heavy on arithmetic for article scoring, for instance)
and eshell make Emacs much more than an editor.  W3, which I'm sure
you are aware of, is a full-featured web browser.  There is a
spreadsheet package for Emacs.  Clearly, Emacs is being used for many
tasks, often at the same time.

> If I execute some keystrokes that will mark a region and then press
> the delete key before the operation that will mark the region
> actually has completed, I won't be happy if it instead deletes what
> happens to be at the time marked by something else.  I don't want
> Emacs to start executing keystrokes before it has processed the
> previous keystrokes.  I _want_ Emacs in general to process the
> things in the correct order when editing.

I agree with you.

Ted