Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: 04 Dec 2003 17:49:31 -0500

> take too long.  I understand all this can be hacked into place, but
> is it really necessary to avoid multithreading so desperately?

Nobody is avoiding it here.  We're just explaining to you why nobody
bothered to do it yet and why none of us feels the urge to do it:
lots of work, unclear payoff.

> Plus, I am pretty sure that when an application uses N processors
> instead of one (as Emacs might with true preemptive multithreading)
> there is at least some speed improvement.

Your being pretty sure does not magically eliminate all the known
counter examples.

> (Xeons).  I don't have benchmarks, sorry, but at least on Solaris the
> performance of a machine increases by at least 80% with each
> additional SPARC processor.

Such naive sweeping claims would tend to ruin your credibility, I'm afraid.
Yes, things can be made to work well, but do you have an idea of the
amount of work it takes to do that ?

        Stefan