Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:34:04 +0530

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:46:46 +0300, "Roman Belenov" <address@hidden>
said:
> "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I suggested Mail Slots as I had worked on implementing it in one of my
> > projects (controlling a profiling session on a remote computer).
>
> AFAIK they are actually used by gnuserv, so you can reuse the code
> (and it seems to me that the whole idea is just an embedding of
> gnuserv functionality/codes into Emacs executable).

If that is the case, that would be ideal. Since gnuserv is well tested,
it should not be too difficult for seasoned GNU Emacs hackers to embed
it. The big advantage of Mail Slots is the ease of implementation
(atleast on MS platform). It is very easy to come up with clients to talk
to GNU Emacs. Also, the embedding can be done through a DLL or SO if you
do not want to bloat the GNU Emacs executable size. Like a load on demand
stuff. Since the Server feature is something which can be isolated, it
might be a nice idea to decouple it from the main GNU Emacs executable.
This was just a thought on packaging.

with regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy