Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: supporting more faces on 256 colors xterms
Date: 08 Feb 2004 08:08:29 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:13:19 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii suggested adding another face specifier `nrcolors>='.
> `nrcolors>=' can be used in `defface' to have common face specifications
> for 256 colors xterms and color X11.

Actually, I suggested `ncolors>=' etc., but I'm known to be a bad
player of the naming game.

> Next step would be to make xterm.el understand color names, currently
> xterm.el generates color names that look like "color-XXX".

Sorry, I don't see why is this needed.  tty-colors.el should already
cause Emacs to find the nearest color-ZZZ that approximates every X
color best.  What am I missing?

> I know there is another xterm mutant that supports 88 colors, that
> one can be probably treated the same way as a 256 colors one.

The CVS version of xterm.el should support both of them (and also the
16-color variety) already.  Doesn't it?