Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Danilo Segan
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:12:03 +0100

Hi,

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

>> Could someone investigate this?  It would be quite desirable to
>> integrate Emacs with GNOME in this way.  If the same work could make
>> this possible for GNOME and KDE, it would be pretty high priority--if
>> it is feasible and acceptable at all.
>
> With D-BUS, Emacs can support both GNOME and KDE in minimal effort.
>
> Currently ORBit/Bonobo(?) is used in Gnome; and KPart(?) is used in KDE
> as high level IPC mechanisms. In other hand D-BUS is desktop neutral
> high level IPC mechanism.

Actually, D-BUS is *simple* IPC mechanism.  It was not designed to
replace CORBA in the Gnome platform.  Also, CORBA is not used only
for IPC in Gnome, so D-BUS is a non-contender there.  D-BUS was
designed to provide simple IPC mechanism where CORBA is overkill
(i.e. harder than necessary).

D-BUS doesn't provide anything on par with component mechanism
provided by Bonobo (or, I guess, DCOP/KParts).  Both Bonobo and
KParts are implemented over their respective IPCs, so it doesn't make
too much sense to reimplement it all.

> Supporting ORBit/Bonobo in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with
> GNOME.  Supporting KPart in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with
> KDE. For each desktop, one high level IPC mechanism must be supported
> in Emacs(and at least one voluntee is needed). In other hand, supporting
> D-BUS in Emacs stands for integrating Emacs with both GNOME and KDE at
> once.

Yeah, if D-BUS was ever able to handle that (without significant work
of reimplementing everything, which would be silly).  I don't see
myself how could it be related.  It was never designed to be able to
replace things like Bonobo and KParts.

Cheers,
Danilo