Re: autorevert.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: 25 Mar 2004 08:56:06 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 24 Mar 2004 13:03:16 -0500
>
> > (In general, I'm opposed to planting into Emacs user-level features
> > implicit assumptions about Posix-specific behavior, in this case, that
> > a directory is just another file.  Yes, I know: Emacs is being
> > developed primarily for Posix-compliant platforms, bla, bla...)
>
> I must say I don't understand what you're talking about here.
> The "listen to messages" thingy is very much non-posix.

I was talking about the assumption that the directory's time stamp
changes whenever files are created or removed in that directory.

A more portable way of building a feature that needs to know when
directory contents change would be to define a system-specific
function/macro that would return an indication of that, and leave its
implementation to platform-specific files.