Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:17:29 +0100

Having clarified the goals for such an effort, I would like to know
if anyone is interested in working towards that direction. Is the
team that ported Emacs to GTK interested in this ? (Jan DjAdrv ?).

My motivation for doing the GTK port in the first place was to make
Emacs a component that GNOME applications could use.  I don't like the
current GNOME editors that exists. Ditto for KDE by the way. But I still
have other things on my TODO list that I would like to fix first, (some
are GTK related, some not).  I do not know anything about GNUStep or
KParts, but will of course help as much as I can and have time for.

I suspect however, that KParts rely heavily on KDE and Qt libraries, the
same as GNOME components relies on GTK and GNOME libraries.
It will be hard work to make Emacs a general component without linking
in those libraries.  This should be investigated first.

        Jan D.