Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*
Date: 29 Mar 2004 16:24:58 -0500

>     In my .emacs for some modes where I don't want comments in
>     font-lock-comment-face (for example).

> I think that is something you would only need for font lock.  So it
> would be unnecessary to have a variable to specify which font to use
> for purposes other than font lock.

>       I first used it in dired-mode where
>     font-lock-FOO-face was misused for unrelated concepts.

> Would you say there is still such a problem in Dired mode?
> If so, what would you think of introducing new faces for Dired to use?

I think the problem shows up in various forms.  Some of them are due to
misuse of faces (like using font-lock-keyword-face to highlight unrelated
things like symlinks), but others are just nothing but user preference.

So maybe dired should introduce new faces (maybe it's done that already,
I haven't used it in a while now), but that was not my point: my point is
that buffer-local faces are useful for user customization and as long as we
don't really support them, we should try to keep using the "face-variables"
indirection used by font-lock: those variables are not obsolete.

        Stefan