Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el
Date: 01 Apr 2004 23:34:36 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:

> Well, overlay-arrow-variable-list is apparently intended to be extended.  If
> various commands add their own arrow-wish to this, and only the first gets
> displayed, it can still be that compile's arrow doesn't appear.

My vision with overlay-arrow-variable-list was that each mode (gdb,
compile, grep, ...) would need just one arrow each, and in their "own"
buffer.  So, IMO, it doesn't really make sense to have more than one
arrow in each window.

> And as long as this is not available on text displays it's not so good.  I was
> mistaken however because I'd used the 6 months old standard emacs there.

So does it work, or not?

>                                                                           The
> only thing missing is assigning something like "-->" to overlay-arrow-string,
> maybe with some face applied.

You can assign a separate overlay arrow string to your own variable via the
overlay-arrow-string property on that variable.

> Otoh, it would be the quickest patch to make...  Since there can be only one
> arrow anyway, I wouldn't worry about a new variable, simply assign something
> to overlay-arrow-position.

You should definitely make a separate variable for compile, as the
"standard" arrow is reserved for gdb.  I can easily envision running
compile and gdb simultaneously.