Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el
Date: 02 Apr 2004 21:28:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > The overlay-arrow variables are global (although some modes use them
> > as buffer-local, but redisplay isn't really prepared for that).
>
> If the redisplay only ever supports one arrow per buffer, then it would
> make more sense to use a single hard-coded variable and make sure that
> buffer-local values are handled correctly.

But for some uses (like gdb), the overlay arrow isn't tied to a single
buffer.  Making it buffer local would mean we would have to keep track
of where we put that arrow by other means, so we can remove it when
moving to a different buffer.

Supporting buffer local overlay arrows works for the most part, but
the handling of overlay arrows used to rely on global state variables;
with my latest changes, those global state variables are now
implemented as properties on each overlay arrow variable, so you can
safely have more than one arrow.

IIRC, the limitation of one overlay arrow in each buffer could easily
be lifted...  Well, I can look into that.

> It seems that the current interface is overly general w.r.t
> the implementation.

Can something be too general -- if it is also simple...