Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:33:49 +0200

Maybe one have to make a choice:

1. Emacs should be for "superusers" only.
2. Emacs should be for "ordinary users" *and* "superusers".

If the first choice is made, Emacs code and manuals can continue to assume standard Emacs key bindings. This choice is the easy one.

If the second choice is made, Emacs code and manuals probably have to support different key binding sets, since the "Emacs standard" and "MacOS/MS Windows/Gnome/KDE consensus" are so far apart and conflicting. I know it is an enormous task to implement this fully, but I see no real choice (apart from 1).

I my dreams Emacs has these menu entries:

  Options->Key bindings->Emacs Classic
                       ->MS Windows
                       ->Modify current bindings

Choosing "Modify current bindings" one is able to move entire trees, such as everything prefixed by C-x, to another prefix. Furthermore, one can choose to save the current keybindings under a different name.

Although this is hard to implement, it is not impossible. And it must be possible to do it in small steps.