Re: dired alignment

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: dired alignment
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:32:20 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:

> Since several days I observe an dired alignment failure when trying to
> copy a file pressing `C'.  Point sits on `.emacs.test', press
>
>     C .emacs.test2 RET
>
> and all spaces are collapsed to just-one-space (cf. attachment).  Press
> `g' and proper re-alignemnt will happen.

That's a side effect of recent changes in coreutils.  Columns in the
output of ls are now expanded only to the extend needed to keep the whole
output aligned, so when listing only one file the whitespace between
columns will be minimal.  BSD ls apparently had this feature already for a
longer time, at least MacOS 10.1 already does that.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany