Re: Patch for sql.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch for sql.el
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:59:47 -0400

    > Is there any particular reason why you don't merge all those submodes
    > and simply handle a language that's a superset of all?
    > Basically accept @ # $ as symbol components, and accept all the
    > keywords of all the known servers...
    > That should simplify your code.

    The problem with SQL is that there is no real standard.  The core is
    standard, but the functions and procedural extensions vary significantly
    from one product to another.

Ok, but the question still seems like a good one.
Instead of having various submodes, why not make a single
universal mode to handle the union of them?

This doesn't mean there can't be a feature to check for use of some
other dialect.  Though I am surprised you won't find out from error
messages when you try to run it in the other SQL system.