Re: python-mode (python.el): python-backspace

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: python-mode (python.el): python-backspace
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 22:53:28 +0100

> If it doesn't look like deleting one character backwards,
> it is a drastic change.

It actually does that with indent-tabs-mode and the indentation step
equal to a tab width.

> This redefinition is ok because it fits with the description that DEL
> deletes one character backwards.  It reinterprets "one character" in a
> legitimate way.

As I think Python mode does, and major modes are explicitly documented
thus (`Major Modes'):

     Selecting a major mode changes the meanings of a few keys to become
  more specifically adapted to the language being edited.  The ones that
  are changed frequently are <TAB>, <DEL>, and `C-j'.

It's adapted (modulo possible bugs) in a way which people who actually
use it find natural.

> However, to describe the current Python mode definition as "deleting
> one character backwards" is clearly untrue.

As far as I can tell, it does always delete characters backwards,
whereas in Lisp mode, it can actually add space characters.

Now I've had a chance to try, I can't reproduce the reported behaviour
where it moved point forward and, as I said, that would be a bug.
I've got confused by the state of the sources, but as far as I can
tell, I'm running the latest version.

Is the issue with the DEL binding just that reported behaviour or is
it with the intended behaviour?

> That redefinition does
> not reinterpret the description.  This command does a different job,
> not the same job.

If you won't accept DEL, what would be a natural key for the job
`delete a level of indentation when deleting a single space would be
syntactically incorrect'?