Re: Emacs setup assistants

From: A.J. Rossini
Subject: Re: Emacs setup assistants
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:57:26 -0700

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> In particular, some might want to look ahead in order to figure what
>>> to answer for the current question.
>>
>> I think this would subvert the whole idea of assistants and make them
>> too much of a power user's tool.  Power users don't need assistants.
>
> I think everyone who uses Emacs is by definition a power user ;-)
>
> Emacs user = power user.

NO.  Not even close.  I've got staff
scientists/biologists/masters-level statisticians who use it because
ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) is the coolest way to do data analysis
(yes, I helped to write it, but I'm not saying so because I'm biased
;-).

They don't even come close to being power users in the Emacs sense,
let alone qualify as "programmers" except maybe for excel (well, they
are using R, but more as a set of macros and incantation than formal
or proper programming).

The idea of simple assistants would gain me so much time (not having
to train) that it isn't even funny.  (now on the other hand, I'm the
one who would be writing assistants, so I'm paying attention at this
point, but that's another issue).

Maybe you meant to have a smiley there, but I don't even want these
users to even think about customize.  Maybe "copy my .emacs", but not
much more.

best,
-tony

--
address@hidden            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.