Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:27:42 +0200

On 27 May 2004 18:19:09 -0400
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I think the "generic" text needs to be in, together with an explanation
> of what this specific instance of convert-standard-filename does.

Yes, I agree. What I objected to is the way it is now, because reading
the docstring for a non-default version of the func it is non-obvious
whether the function is "trivial" (does nothing) or not.

> Basically I think that multiple definitions of the same function is
> a bad thing.

Yes!!

On the "help argument highlighting" issue I finally added a function
that the user must redefine to customize the arg highlighting. I did so
per RMS' request, but I *hate* this way to customize. I would much
prefer to have a hook. Every time I have to redefine a function to
change some tiny think I'm afraid I'll accidentally miss fixes and
enhancements to the original function.

> Maybe using defadvice in dos-fns and w32-fns would be even
> worse for various reasons, but I think that the docstrings should do
> something similar to what we'd get if we used defadvice.

Hmm... I'm not sure repeating all the original func's docstring is
necessary. Better IMO something like:

  "Convert a standard file's name to something suitable for the current OS.

The default definition just returns the argument.
On Windows systems, however, this function

 - replaces invalid characters in FILENAME with !
 - turns Cygwin-style /cygdrive/x/ pathnames into x:/ paths
 - converts slashes to backslashes

Conversion of slashes only happens if the current shell expects
it, as indicated by `w32-shell-dos-semantics'."

                                                                Juanma