Re: find-tag-default

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-tag-default
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:44:35 -0400

    Library thingatpt+.el provides additions and enhancements to thingatpt.el:

    1) An optional syntax-table argument is used to determine the bounds.

When have you found that useful?

    2) New functions (e.g. symbol-nearest-point) don't require point to be on
    the name you want. Here's how "nearest" is defined:

Some kind of extension in this direction could be useful, I guess.
However, I think this looks too far away from point:

        The nearest symbol on the same line is returned, if there is any.
            Between two symbols equidistant from point on the same line, the
            leftmost is considered nearer.
        Otherwise, neighboring lines are tried in sequence:
            previous, next, 2nd previous, 2nd next, 3rd previous, 3rd next, etc.
            This means that between two symbols equidistant from point in
            lines above and below it, the symbol in the line above point
            (previous Nth) is considered nearer to it.

I think it would be a mistake to use a symbol very far away from point.
The user would think, "Where in the world did that come from?"
It's better to say "there's no default" than grasp at straws to
find one.

So I would recommend a new function along these lines but with
some limits.