Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: 03 Jun 2004 14:57:57 -0400

>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 06:16:18PM -0600, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>>> Indeed, since I've set enable-recursive-minibuffers I want to be able to
>>> run M-% on the contents of the minibuffer (yanked, or inserted via M-p).
>>
>> Yeah I do that sometimes too, though it's slightly confusing because you
>> can't see what's happening (I almost always just hit ! immediately).

> Me, too.  WIBNI a second minibuffer window were displayed for the
> recursive minibuffer?

You just need to tweak replace.el's messages so that they are displayed
differently when working in the minibuffer.  They could use the same trick
used in completion commands:  [Complete but not unique].

I think many places that use message (or minibuffer-message) could
advantageously use a function that calls either message or
minibuffer-message depending on the context.

        Stefan