doc problems with defcustom

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: doc problems with defcustom
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:30:02 +0200 (CEST)

[CVS 2004-05-30]

Neither in emacs.info nor elisp.info it is described how to customize
a variable defined with defcustom in a non-interactive way, this is,
how to configure it the `.emacs' file instead of using the `customize'
feature -- at least there isn't a link from the defcustom description
to such a place if it exists.

For example, I would like to make my users add `CJKinclude' to
reftex-include-file-commands, defined in reftex-vars.el.  For me, the
easiest way is to write

  (add-to-list 'reftex-include-file-commands "CJKinclude")

in `.emacs' (and this is what I recommend my users).

If such a solution is deprecated or should be avoided, please say so
in the documentation.

    Werner