Re: doc problems with defcustom

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: doc problems with defcustom
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:52:20 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> Neither in emacs.info nor elisp.info it is described how to customize
> a variable defined with defcustom in a non-interactive way, this is,
> how to configure it the `.emacs' file instead of using the `customize'
> feature

Perhaps that's because it's the same as it has always been -- just use
setq, or add-to-list, or whatever you like.
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> For me, the easiest way is to write
>
>   (add-to-list 'reftex-include-file-commands "CJKinclude")
>
> in `.emacs' (and this is what I recommend my users).

That should be fine.

Actually for lists, customize's behavior is kind of non-optimal anyway,
because one can't just _add_ to a list with customize, you have to
explicitly set the whole thing, which can interact badly with upgrades
&c.

Personally I use a mixture of explicit .emacs settings and customize,
whatever is most convenient for the task at hand (for complicated data
structures, customize can be nice because it often provides little
mini-editors for the data structure).

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."