Re: Mark handling (Was: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el)

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Mark handling (Was: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:57:03 +0200

Saluton,

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:

>       In some cases, which I have not yet figured out, I get errors at
>     least from M-w (not sure what else I may have come across) that the mark
>     is not activated.  But it does exist, because I can do C-x C-x and
>     afterwards M-w works.
>
> You did not say whether you are using Transient Mark mode.
> If you are using Transient Mark mode, it is normal that the
> mark can exist but not be active.  There may be a bug that does
> this in a case where it should not happen.

No I don't.  I even have (setq-default transient-mark-mode nil) without
remembering why I put that in long ago.

You were nevertheless right: I found out that dragging the mouse to mark
something sets transient-mark-mode to 'identity behind my back.  Even with
emacs -q.

This then might be linked to another irritating thing I recently noticed: when
double-clicking, the marked word is shown in region face, but reverts to
normal
face immediately.  The next double click sets region face semi permanently
(till doing something else).  The next double click again only blinks region
face, and so on.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/