Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:10:44 -0500 (CDT)

   It is worth thinking about.
   I saw people discussing other methods, %s and envvars.
   The envvar method is too inconvenient.  %s might be acceptable;
   people mainly discussed how to implement it.

Actually, I now see one problem with the change I proposed.

Somebody might have gotten the habit of using *'' or ?'' instead of the
recommended *"" to _prevent_ expansion.  That will no longer work and
this might confuse people, unless they read the NEWS carefully.

If we go for a radically different syntax, then we could just take the
example out of the manual for the time being and implement the new
syntax for 21.5.

Sincerely,

Luc.