Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:51:10 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   Or, alternatively, there could be a list of local variables not to
   kill when changing major modes.  This list would itself be local
   (that's how it differs from making the variables permanent).  Enriched
   mode would put them onto this list.  That way, it would not have to do
   anything like turn itself off and on.

Even if `kill-all-local-variables' does not kill these variables, the
major mode can override them.  In the case of `indent-line-function',
most modes that are usually combined with Enriched mode will.

I think we are getting into problems that are going to get worse and
worse as Enriched mode gets more extensive.

I more and more agree with Oliver that we should have two Enriched
modes.  The minor mode Enriched mode would be a true minor mode.  It
would essentially only set ` buffer-file-format' and maybe do some
additional minor stuff.  The major mode would replace the current
"major mode in a minor mode".

If necessary, we could have several derived modes of the new major mode
Enriched mode, that would essentially have the same effect as enabling
a second major mode, but in a way that does not try to "fight" with
Enriched mode.

Sincerely,

Luc.