Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:50:06 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Alternatively, we can go through the trouble that Luc proposes, but then we
   should make it generic, so that enriched-mode can just be added to a list of
   "permanent-local minor modes that need to be turned back on after a major
   mode change".

I believe it is a mistake to try to find a generic solution for a
problem that affects one single function, just because it is
theoretically possible that at some point in the future there might be
a second example.  Especially since we might not really want to
encourage the creation of other examples, unless really needed.
`enriched-mode' is kind of peculiar in that it is a minor mode that
really needs to be a kind of second major mode.  Actually, an
alternative to my patches would be to make it a major mode.  But that
would take away the present feature that it can be combined with other
major modes.

Sincerely,

Luc.