Re: Modifier keys in Carbon Emacs

From: Denis Bueno
Subject: Re: Modifier keys in Carbon Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:20:40 -0400

On 16 Sep 2004, at 17.19, Doug Alcorn wrote:

I had complained briefly in another thread about certain non-mac-ness
of the carbon port of emacs.  I think I can boil all of it down to how
modifier keys are handled.  I know about mac-command-key-is-meta and
mac-pass-*-to-system.  What I can't decide is how to best use them.

On the one hand (as a new mac user) I'm trying to get used to all the
Cmd-X keyboard shortcuts.  On the other hand (as a recent Linux user)
I'm used to Alt being Meta and being immediately next to the space
bar.  Leaving mac-command-key-is-meta set as t means that I won't be
able to use Cmd-tab to switch apps.

I am using Carbon Emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.3.0) of 2004-04-17 on Taggart.local) on Panther 10.3.5 and I have mac-command-key-is-meta set to t: but I can still Command-Tab between applications, when Emacs has the focus. Is this not the intended behavior? (mac-pass-control-to-system and mac-pass-command-to-system are both t.)

I'm also using a Happy Hacking Lite keyboard (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pfuca-store/haphackeylit1.html), with the DIP switches set such that the diamond-shaped key (located where Cmd would be on a Mac keyboard) acts like Alt, and Alt (where Option would be on a Mac keyboard) acts like Option. So hitting Diamond-Q right now would quit Mail. Does this make any difference?

<snip>

--
Denis Bueno
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xA1B51B4B&op=index