Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:08:05 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:30:53 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I am not sure how to represent nested blocks with per-character text
> properties.  In principle we could have other kinds of data associated
> with the text to supplement text properties, but what could we design
> that would fit in properly with cut and paste?

Perhaps such portions of text should only be cut-n-pasted as
rectangles.

> What does it *mean* to copy a character from inside environment
> `larum' which is inside environment `lirum' and insert it somewere
> else?  What should that character look like in its new location?

This is a hard problem.  I don't have solutions, but I can say that
one very widespread non-free word processor sometimes does _HORRIBLE_
things when text is copied from a fragment that uses some non-trivial
style to another portion of the document.  My suggestion would be to
stick to the KISS principle as much as it's feasible.