Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:43:38 -0400

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 07:33:34PM +0200, Jan D. wrote:
> Basically Emacs will have to change so that commands from the menu bar and
> tool bar call a new function that knows if this is a save or load.  We then
> remove the use of a dialog entirely from read-file-name.

This sounds like a rather fragile method -- it means non-standard emacs
commands (and of those, only the ones that someone remembered to change) will
cease to use the dialog boxes entirely, which seems guaranteed to cheese some
people off.

What does read-file-name use now?  It seems like the state of MUST-MATCH is a
pretty good hint what is wanted.  If the File menu invoked something like
`find-existing-file' (like find-file, but sets MUST-MATCH to non-nil) for the
"Open" entry, wouldn't that just work?

-Miles
--
/\ /\