Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:15:43 -0400

    First we must agree on what MUST-MATCH means.  The Motif dialog box
    thinks MUST-MATCH means that the user must select a file that exists
    and has the name of the default file (or initial).

I am having trouble understanding this.  It sounds like you are saying
that the Motif dialog box in the MUST-MATCH != nil case says to the user,
"Specify a file, but it has to be THIS one."  Like elections in the
Soviet Union where the only alternative was to vote for Stalin.

Maybe I did not understand clearly.

In any case, what MUST-MATCH != nil means in Emacs is that the user
can specify any existing file.  If that is not what read-file-name
does now with the Motif toolkit in that case, that's a bug.  Can you
fix it?