RE: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:29:55 -0700

-----Original Message-----From: Kim F. Storm
  document the current "standard" behaviour,
  and then add a section at an appropriate place which says something like:

  Whenever you can click with mouse-2 to follow a link, you may also be
  able to follow the link by a double click or a short click with
  mouse-1.  The actual mouse-1 action that you need to follow a link is
  controlled by the user option mouse-1-click-follows-link.

mouse-1 click to follow links or click action buttons, if available, should
become the _standard_ behavior. Instead of introducing mouse-2 as the
standard behavior, and then saying that mouse-1 "may also be" usable as an
alternative in many contexts, we should just introduce mouse-1 clicking (or
not bother to introduce it at all! - the closer Emacs behavior is to what
users are used to, the less explanation we need). We should not mention
mouse-2 in this context.

What about mouse-2? If mouse-1 clicking follows links, there is no reason
for mouse-2 to duplicate this behavior. I think Kim has (for now) left
mouse-2 as an alternative to mouse-1 in his patch: both do the same thing
wrt links. I would prefer that we adopt mouse-1 and drop mouse-2 (except as
an optional replacement for mouse-1 -- one or the other; not both). Let
users (or future Emacs versions) use mouse-2 for something else in this
context - by default, it should probably be `mouse-yank-at-click' in most
contexts.

Any other, optional (customizable) behavior besides
mouse-1-click-to-follow-a-link should be described in a way that does not
confuse new users into thinking that they need to wrestle with such
customization. IOW, we need to make it clear when we're documenting
customization (optional behavior).

For the (new) standard mouse-1 behavior, we should just speak of "click",
not "short click". Documentation of any "long click" behavior needs to be
separated, so users see clearly that they don't _need_ to understand it just
to be able to "point and shoot".

IOW, let's separate out the esoteric stuff from the main message: click
mouse-1 to follow a link or use an action button.

  One problem is the tooltips which say "click mouse-2 to ...".
  To fix that requires that we change all places where the tooltips
  are created (unless there is some place we can put in a clever
  rewrite of the message).

Such messages should ideally be constructed based on dynamic key bindings,
so that they would automatically reflect the appropriate behavior. Isn't it
possible to use, say, `substitute-command-keys' here?