Re: autoload failure

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: autoload failure
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:25:39 -0400

>>> The path "/cygdrive/d/pub/emacs" is not valid on Windows.  It is an
>>> indication that you are using Cygwin make, which the docs explicitly
>>> say to avoid for this reason.
>>
>> I really think it would be more constructive to add a file-name-handler
>> for "/cygdrive/" seeing how common this kind of problem is (it might at
>> least save us some time replying to such email).

> Its there already I beleive:

> 2001-10-29  Sam Steingold  <address@hidden>

>       * w32-fns.el (convert-standard-filename): Handle cygwin-specific
>       "/cygdrive/LETTER/" pathnames.

But is `convert-standard-filename' used often enough?
A quick grep gives me the impression it doesn't cut it: most filenames that
come from arguments are presumed to be already valid and aren't passed
through `convert-standard-filename'.  Only hardcoded filenames are passed
through `convert-standard-filename', it seems.

> The problem is that this is happening during bootstrap, when
> w32-fns.el is not loaded yet.

Are you sure?  The problem is when re-building loaddefs.el which happens
after the first dump (i.e. the special bootstrap-dump).  Are you saying that
the bootstrap-dump does not load w32-fns.el?  How could that be?  loadup.el
seems to load it whether it's the normal dump or the boostrap dump.

        Stefan