Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' de

From: Brian Palmer
Subject: Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' definedness
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 01:48:11 -0700

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:45:38 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Brian Palmer <address@hidden> writes:
> In Emacs this is equivalent to
>
>    (defun find-face (face) (and (facep face) face))
>
> Why exactly do you want to use `find-face' anyway?  Why not just avoid
> using `facep' except in a boolean context?

Well, find-face returns a face object in xemacs. I'm proposing a new function
to add to gnu emacs so that there's <rant>one fewer arbitrary
difference between
emacs and xemacs that causes inconvenience and unnecessary friction for
those of us who code third-party applications or help users of both xemacs and
emacs</rant>. If find-face in emacs didn't return a face object, it
wouldn't be doing
a very good job of compatibility, now.

The proposed patch I outlined, and the stupid way in which it has to
differ across
emacs and xemacs, shows that there's a use for improving compatibility.