Re: alarm_signal_handler is called too frequently

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: alarm_signal_handler is called too frequently
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:56:24 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
I can't say why the do_timer argument is different, the modification was made by you almost 2 years ago:

Judging by the date when I made the change, I was probably looking at
bug reports saved up from the previous months.  I didn't mail the
patch to anyone at the time.

Perhaps it has to do with y-or-n-p-with-timeout.
Can that operate with a dialog?  If so, it now won't work
correctly; the timeout will be ignored.  We could make
the timeout work once again using some other mechanism,
I guess.

y-or-n-p-with-timeout will pop up a dialog when invoked with the mouse (i.e. tool or menu bar). And yes, it will not time out. It never did for GTK or Mac OSX BTW, as they do not process timers if a dialog is popped up.

Currently there are no such menu or tool bar entries, but I guess other packages may add such an item.

But I was wondering if the differences in how dialogs and menus are invoked may make a difference. A menu is invoked as a result of a KeyPress, which arrives in the signal handler. But a dialog is always popped up by lisp code, not directly from the signal handler. Does this matter?

        Jan D.