Re: Items in FOR-RELEASE

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Items in FOR-RELEASE
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:33:58 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Beside the fact that you can't use Custom to set this up, the problem with
> it is that it requires a preexistnig face with the required properties
> (such as the `bold' face in your example).  If you want comments to appear
> in "uglygreen" and that no other face uses "uglygreen" (or the other faces
> the use "uglygreen" also use some other attribute that you don't want for
> comments), you have to create your own with defface, ...

I don't know how face-remapping is implemented, but maybe it is possible
to use a property list of face attributes?

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'face-remappings)
                 '((font-lock-comment-face . (:foreground "uglygreen"))))))

> In any case I'm not opposed at all to face-remapping (I've been
> asking for something like it for a long time, actually), but I just
> think it should either be installed right now or postponed to after
> the release.  I.e. it shouldn't be in FOR-RELEASE.

Maybe there is no need for a hurry in installing face-remapping.
But one reason I found was to get rid of face variables that duplicate
the faces with the same names, because it would be difficult to remove
them after the next release.  If it is desirable to have such
duplicate face variables, then there is still a problem.  The current
situation is inconsistent: some faces have corresponding face variables,
some not.  This should be fixed one way or the other.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/