Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with s

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with space
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:39:51 +0100

* Richard Stallman (2004-12-24) writes:

>     A function in AUCTeX for doing indentation looks at whitespace syntax
>     for finding the first non-whitespace character (and so does
>     `back-to-indentation' in CVS Emacs).  That means it will skip the "Ü"
>     and delete everything from the beginning of the line to and including
>     the "Ü".
>
>     I removed this code in CVS AUCTeX which now only uses
>     `back-to-indentation'.  In Emacs 21.3 this function does not look at
>     character syntax but simply skips spaces and tab characters at the
>     beginning of a line.
>
> If AucTeX specifically wants to skip just space and tab, it could do
> that explicitly, rather than calling back-to-indentation.  That would
> work in the latest Emacs.

Yes, this would be a possibility.  Normally I tend to use functions
provided by Emacs if the do what I need.  In case of
`back-to-indentation' (now looking for whitespace syntax) I thought it
would be good because there might be other whitespace characters in a
LaTeX file besides space and tab we want to skip.

> We could look at trying to fix this by giving different syntax
> values to the unibyte non-ASCII codes.  The problem is that
> (I think) different non-ASCII coding systems would want different
> syntax values.

Couldn't the information about the character syntax which is used in
multibyte mode also be used in unibyte mode?  (I hope this question is
not too naive.)

--
Ralf