RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:12:49 -0800

    > In fact, that is perhaps another, general problem: how to know how to
    > customize Customize.

    M-x customize-group <ret> customize <ret>

    Or from a customize buffer, select Custom -> Customize from the menu
    bar (they are all there).

That just brings up the customize buffer for the Customize group. I meant
that there is no doc that tells you _how to use the Customize UI_. I'm
thinking of a simple doc that describes the various UI features in a
Customize buffer (what you see, how it works).

Maybe a Customize buffer should be self explanatory, but it's not - look at
the custom-unlispify discussion and the discussion of what Show Initial Lisp
Expression really means, both in this thread.

    > If nothing else, I would hope that it would serve as an options
    > browser (like `edit-options').

    I like the customize-browse interface way better for browsing than
    using customize-group.  Try it.

I don't have a problem considering either one of those a browser for
customize.

My point was that Customize is not only a UI for _changing_ variable values:
it is also a browser for viewing information about variables (including
their values) and their interrelations (e.g. grouping into libraries).

I wrote the following in response to the claim that we shouldn't provide a
link to the source-code definition because if you need to look at the source
code then you shouldn't be using Customize:

  And the question is not just whether you _need_ to consult the source code
  to be able to _customize_ a variable - Customize is not just for changing
  things (customizing); it is also an options and options-groups _browser_
  (remember `edit-options'?). Even if a doc string is perfect, I might want
  consult the code - and I doubt that I am alone in that.

    > See the
    > Manual button I mentioned above, for instance: If we assume
    that Customize
    > users are to shun Lisp, then why send them to the Lisp manual
    for info on
    > how to code customize groups and such?

    Because there were no user manual for customize at the time the :link
    was added, and nobody have bothered to edit it since a customize
    section was added to the user manual.  Please send a patch or a bug
    report.

Done: you just sent a bug report.