Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:55:49 -0500

    The normal procedure to develop a GUI would be to ask users what aspect of
    the GUI they do not for some reason like. (Of course the educated guess of
    the developers are very, very good to have.) I guess a problem here is that
    many users do not use the custom GUI. Therefore I believe every piece of
    information we get about how different persons react to this interface is
    important.

I agree.

One very useful way to get good info is to watch a beginner use custom
and say "please report anything you don't like AND anything that isn't
obvious how to use".  If a few people could do this with their
friends, over the coming weeks, that could potentially show us how to
make Custom more natural.  We may need to wait till after the release
before actually making the changes, but we will do it sooner or later.