Re: suggestions on toolbar icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: suggestions on toolbar icons
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:45:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>

I do not use the toolbar very often, but I think it is good to have it as
easy to understand as possible. I agree with much of your suggestions, but
there are some things I would like a bit different:

>  - Magnifying glass for search: This symbol is often used for
>    Zoom, and it should be reserved for Zoom.
>
>    Suggestion: Use binoculars instead. (People don't search with
>    magnifying glasses, anyway.)

I believe magnifying glass is common for search. Firefox uses it for
example. And it is perhaps also a bit easier to make a small picture of a
magnigying glass than of binoculars.

>  - Arrows Previous, Next, Up, History Back, and History Forward:
>    The structural-move icons (Previous, Next, Up) look too much
>    like the chronological-move icons of Web browsers. I don't
>    have a slam-dunk suggestion here, but we should come up with
>    something better: browser users are used to these fat arrows
>    for chronological moves. (It's best to avoid them altogether.)

Why not use the fat arrows for chronological moves?

Why do we need the arrows for Prev, Next and Up? There are already text
links for this in the Info buffer. If you are using a single window they are
right under the toolbar.

>  - Help:

To me the help toolbar seems to contain many items that have no connection
with help.