Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:15:55 +0300

>     i empathize w/ the authors of the tutorials who may not
>     wish to change their text.
>
> This is a small change in the packaging of *translations* of a part of
> Emacs, which are also meant ascontributions to Emacs.  If some
> translator gets worked up about it, that is not our problem.
>
> Unless there is a practical problem with the solution I've proposed,
> that's what we will use.

Different languages have different conventions for document titles:
some require to upper-case all letters, some - to capitalize all words,
others - to capitalize only the first word ("EMACS TUTORIAL",
"Emacs Tutorial", "Emacs tutorial"), different conventions for
centering the title, etc.  This can't be done without the help of
translators of the Emacs tutorial.  But it makes no sense to bother
them now for such a small change.  What is more useful is to provide
complete internationalization of Emacs after the next release (there
is already an entry in etc/TODO) for Emacs 23 (Unicode-2) and to ask
translation teams to translate menus, messages as well as the
splash screen.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/