Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:32:39 -0400

    I've only found it helpful to have "Mouse" in the mode-line so I know it has
    actually loaded. If it is removed, might it make sense to conditionally load
    xt-mouse in startup.el to ensure its always loaded when needed?

You could load it conditionally (only in an xterm) or unconditionally,
and either way, it would always be loaded when needed.

I see no need for it to put "Mouse" in the mode line,
and I don't see how it benefits you, given the usage you've
described.

    By when needed, I mean "when Emacs is started in an xterm" i.e putting
    something like:

    (if (string= "xterm" (getenv "TERM")) (xterm-mouse-mode 1))

    in startup.el

This would only cause a problem for a user who wants to use the
ordinary xterm mouse commands even when an Emacs is running there.
I doubt many users find that particularly better, and if they don't,
then this change would cause little problem.  And anyone who did
not like it could disable the mode.

So I think it is a good idea.

The natural place to do it is in lisp/term/xterm.el.
Would someone please install (xterm-mouse-mode 1) there?