Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:32:50 -0400

I looked back at the 2003 conversation.  Taylor simply refused to
implement behavior that fits logically with Emacs, demanding that we
change Emacs to put actual blank lines in the bottom of the screen.

It would be absurd to change Emacs's text model to fit the demands of
a GUI toolkit.  However, we could consider computing the "total size"
for scrolling to include N fictitious final blank lines, N = window
height.

With this technique, the slider would not touch the bottom until you
have scrolled as far as you can.

This has an undesirable feature: it would mean that you can't scroll
to put point-max at the bottom of the screen just by looking at the
scroll bar.  However, I am not sure that matters terribly, since you
can manage to see when you're at the end in other ways (such as by
looking for Bot in the mode line).  Also, it avoids another
undesirable feature, which is that the visible slider would shrink as
fewer lines remain at the top of the screen.

Perhaps we should try this for GTK and LessTif scroll bars.