Re: buffer-offer-save, gnus and mh-e

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: buffer-offer-save, gnus and mh-e
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:47:50 -0500 (CDT)

Bill Wohler wrote:

   I'm a little confused by this since mh-folder-mode extends
   fundamental-mode.

I believe that I indeed got confused.  I am not very familiar with
mh-e.  I use mail-mode myself.  The normal mode for mail buffers in
mh-e appears to be mh-letter-mode.  That one does not appear to set
buffer-offer-save, unlike mail-mode and message-mode.  After my
proposed change it would, when invoked via compose-mail.  I could
avoid that by checking mail-user-agent in compose-mail.  But should
mail buffers not set buffer-offer-save to t, because otherwise the
user might loose work if inadvertently exiting Emacs?
`mh-compose-and-send-mail' could do it right after calling
mh-letter-mode.  (I now saw that mh-e can be invoked in a way that
bypasses compose-mail).

I now believe that mh-make-folder should set buffer-offer-save to t
right after calling mh-folder-mode.

   Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, you'd like to see the
   following code in mh-e.el:(mh-folder-mode), right?

     (if (or mh-xemacs-flag (< emacs-major-version 22))
       (setq buffer-offer-save t))

Unfortunately, to play it completely save, that might still be
necessary (even if mh-make-folder already would set buffer-offer-save
to t) because if the user switches modes in the buffer, then in prior
Emacs versions and XEmacs, the local variable buffer-offer-save will
be killed.

   Also, is the setting of buffer-offer-save to nil in
   mh-utils.el:(mh-find-path) still appropriate?

Yes.  mh-find-path is not a major mode (or so I believe).  I believe
all that one does is avoid asking the user to save a temporary buffer
(mh-temp-buffer) created by mh-find-path.  Correct?

Sincerely,

Luc.