Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:41:49 +1200

 > >> Why not do what was suggested?
 > >>
 > >>     (unless (display-graphic-p)
 > >>      (put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string ""))
 > >
 > > Since no one objected, I fixed it like this, but a little bit
 > > differently: I set overlay-error-string to "" in compilation-setup, if
 > > the terminal is not graphic.

The thread moved on from there. You (= Eli) have done:

  (set (make-local-variable 'overlay-arrow-string)
       (if (display-graphic-p) "=>" ""))

I said that the condition (if (display-graphic-p)... was unnecessary and
unrequired. On a graphical display, when there is a left hand fringe
overlay-arrow-string isn't used and when there isn't one, you presumably want
overlay-arrow-string to be "=>".

 > IIRC, Richard installed the above change already.  Maybe that wasn't
 > necessary?

Richard installed a different change to simple.el.

(put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string "")

but this is a *different* arrow that displays in the *source* buffer.

I think this change is wrong.

I suggested a patch in this thread (Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:19:43 +1200) which
also moves the current error to the top for the current error.

Nick