Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 17:49:11 +1200

> > I said that the condition (if (display-graphic-p)... was unnecessary and
 > > unrequired. On a graphical display, when there is a left hand fringe
 > > overlay-arrow-string isn't used and when there isn't one, you presumably
 > > want overlay-arrow-string to be "=>".
 >
 > Let me be sure I understand you: the above says that sometimes (e.g.,
 > when there's no left fringe), we _do_ want overlay-arrow-string to be
 > "=>" on a graphical display, right?  If so, why do you still say that
 > testing for display-graphic-p is unnecessary?

Sorry, I meant "and when there isn't one, you presumably want
overlay-arrow-string to be "" i.e a graphical display without a left fringe
should work like a text terminal.

 > > Richard installed a different change to simple.el.
 > >
 > > (put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string "")
 > >
 > > but this is a *different* arrow that displays in the *source* buffer.
 > >
 > > I think this change is wrong.
 >
 > Which change is wrong--Richard's or mine?

Richard's. I think you're changing the behaviour of the right arrow i.e
the local variable, overlay-arrow-position, which is the one used in the
*compilation* buffer.

Nick