Re: quail input method for wubizixing (chinese-wubi.el?)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: quail input method for wubizixing (chinese-wubi.el?)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:11:40 +0900 (JST)

Sorry for the late response.

In article <address@hidden>, ytrewq1 <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been looking for a way to input Simplified Chinese into Emacs using
> the Wubizixing method but I haven't located anything appropriate in my
> local Emacs (I'm using a relatively recent CVS version).

> I found an implementation at:

> http://daiyuwen.freeshell.org/gb/wubi/wubi.html (GPL?)

> but it appears to do more than I need and since the code feels a bit
> messy to me, I stripped it down to its bare essentials (FWIW, my modified
> version seems to work for what I need at the moment).  I'm not sure where
> the table data came from [1] so I'm uncertain as to the redistributability
> of the original and/or modified code.

> On a related note, I've located some seemingly usable table data in the
> cxterm and the xsim projects:

> http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/cxterm/cxterm/dict/gb/WuBi.tit?rev=1.3&view=log
> http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/xsim/xsim/plugins/IMs/wubi/dict/words/

> I'm considering whether to write some code to translate one of the tables
> (or perhaps do both and merge them) for use in an appropriate quail input
> method.  However, before I decide whether to proceed, I'd like to know if
> there's a wubi input method scheduled to be included in Emacs (or if
> there's one there already that I've missed).  Does anyone here know?

I don't know about work about that but I think supporting
wubi in Emacs is very important.  When I visited Beijing
this March, I found that most of books about Chinese input
method were about wubi.

> Cheers

> [1] I think there's mention about the table data originating from the
> cxterm project at:

> http://daiyuwen.freeshell.org/gb/wubi/wubi.html

> but I'm not confident of my interpretation of the supposedly relevant
> text (within the first few paragraphs).

As I can't read Chinese, I can't tell anything about that.
If you translate it (the part mentioning copyright) in
English and send to RMS <address@hidden>, he'll decide whether
we can use there data or not.

If you find a clearly free Wubi table, please let me know.
I'll implement Wubi input method based on it (provided that
we need only table lookup).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden